[tighturl-users] Probable Feature

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Tue Jul 27 14:00:56 EDT 2010

So, a friend of mine was using tighturl.com the other day and mentioned
he was unable to use it to redirect to a driver file he needed because
it was a self-extracting archive, and thus an executable file, which are
banned over at tighturl.com (and also by any of you who haven't disabled
this behavior).

Admittedly this is pretty much the first time ever I'm aware of someone
wanting to redirect to an .exe file that wasn't really an attempt to
exploit someone else's system, but the goal of TightURL is to prevent
abuse without unnecessarily restricting legitimate activity.

So the idea I'm thinking of is to start allowing redirections to
executables via an intervening web page, ie: TightURLs that contain
"possibly dangerous content" would instead put up a web page with a
hyperlink to that content instead of redirecting, giving the user both
an opportunity to see the URL before clicking on it, and a warning about
the content.

Any thoughts?

- Ron