[tighturl-users] tighturl question...

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Wed Dec 21 21:28:48 EST 2011

Dave wrote:
> I have shell access to the server (hostrocket.com
> <http://hostrocket.com>) but looks like ping is blocked from pinging
> outside hosts.
> Here is ping to a listed site on uribl.com <http://uribl.com>
>
> -----
> [~]# ping mollymovers.com.black.urbil.com
> <http://mollymovers.com.black.urbil.com>
> PING mollymovers.com.black.urbil.com
> <http://mollymovers.com.black.urbil.com> (64.95.64.195) 56(84) bytes of
> data.
> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> ^X
> --- mollymovers.com.black.urbil.com
> <http://mollymovers.com.black.urbil.com> ping statistics ---
> 2 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1001ms
> -----
>
> Here is a ping to a good site that i can ping from home but cannot from
> the server.
> -----
> [~]# ping twit.tv <http://twit.tv>
> PING twit.tv <http://twit.tv> (208.101.26.220) 56(84) bytes of data.
> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>
> --- twit.tv <http://twit.tv> ping statistics ---
> 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2003ms
> ------
>
> Sorry I didn't reply sooner to previous email.  I will load and config
> 1.3.3 and roll with it. Thanks for taking the time to look at it and check.
>
> If you need me to test any upcoming builds, please let me know. I have a
> few short domains that i dont really use for anything at this time and
> can setup a host for them and test.
>
> Have a Happy and safe Holidays!

Ok, it was worth a try.

Save this on your server:

<?php
$host = "mail2leads.com.black.uribl.com";
echo "dns_get_record " . $host . "<br>\n";
$result = dns_get_record($host, DNS_ANY, $authns, $addtl);
echo "Result: ". print_r($result) . "<br>\n";
echo "Additional: ". print_r($addtl) . "<br>\n";
echo "gethostbyname " . $host . "<br>\n";
$result = gethostbyname($host);
echo "Result: ". $result . "<br>\n";
?>

Pull it up in your browser, paste the output here, and then you should
remove the page you pasted the above code into.

- Ron